Sunday, May 13, 2007

Better late than never....

30th April 2007, 1015B

Given the public holiday tomorrow, most people have taken leave so it’s a very quiet day at the office here. Consequently I’m sitting here with nothing to do, so I figure I may as well take the opportunity to catch up on the blog entry I’d been supposed to do last week.
I have to say I’m finding it tricky to get back into the right frame of mind for this, but I’m sure it’ll come back to me if I just keep at it.

So where to start? Easiest will just be to run through what’s happened the last few days I guess, starting with the appointment with the orthopod on Thursday.
To be honest I’m not ecstatic about how the appointment turned out, with the military surgeon declining the further surgery to my knee that the surgeon who operated on me initially said would be the best option in the long run. In fact, they flat out contradicted each other, with the problem being that both of them gave me convincing reasons for giving the recommendations they did. But it’s the army surgeon who calls the shots at the end of the day, & he certainly has a very good point about scar tissue from the op causing further problems later on, so for now we’ll be going with his treatment plan of biokinetic rehab for now, with a re-evaluation in 2 months or so.

My major niggle about this – I can’t call it a complaint really – is that it just feels to be a rather passive approach. It quite possibly is the best way to treat my knee, but I can’t help but wish we were being more aggressive. Then again, I say that now – I’ve yet to see the biokineticist, & there’s always the chance I’ll be in for a shock when I see the program she works out for me :p
That is one thing I’m happy about at least, having a good reason to get back into the gym. Rehab for my knee aside, I think I managed to keep the weight under control the last 6-7 weeks I’ve not been going to the gym, but that still leaves me about 20kg over weight, & it’s long past time I did something about this fat ass of mine. I swear, the weight I’ve picked up since I quit almost makes me want to start smoking again, & I was a tubby bastard then even.

So far as the public holiday on Friday goes, I spent that helping Ash photograph a wedding, & it went pretty well. I’m not overjoyed about the photos I took though, & while I took plenty of “decent” photos, there aren’t so many that stand out for me as being “good”. That’s not really surprising seeing as I’ve hardly touched the camera in going on 6 months & I’m definitely going to need more time & practice to get my eye in again, but it’s still a bit disappointing. Still, what matters is that Ash is happy with the photos I took, especially now that she’s paying me to help her with the weddings. So far she’s not had chance to look at the cd I gave her of the photos I took, & I have to confess I’m doing the whole “but what if she hates them?!” thing right now :p
After the fact performance anxiety aside, I quite enjoyed the day, & the couple who were getting married seem to be really pleasant people. The bride especially was nice, & she spent quite awhile talking with Ash & I at the wedding & the reception, treating us more like guests than hired help, which is always pleasantly surprising.
What wasn’t so pleasantly surprising though, was the reminder of how tiring photographing weddings is, & I was knackered by the end of the day. I was pretty bummed about that, as I ended up having to cancel joining Gareth & Denbeigh for dvd’s that evening because I was so tired, and it’s not that I get to see them as often as I’d like as it is.

The rest of the weekend was fairly quiet, thought Saturday was quite enjoyable, with G & Shirlz dragging me out of the flat fairly early to go furniture shopping with them. They’re both really excited about moving into their new place at the beginning of June, & I’m looking forward to seeing it properly myself.
Their enthusiasm for their new flat is also proving pretty infectious, & I’ve been thinking wistfully about getting a place of my own, but the sad fact there is that I just can’t afford to move out of where I am now, not while I’m still paying off my car. And truth is I’m happy enough in my place – I think I’m just getting itchy feet really, feeling the need to change things more for the sake of change itself than for any real reason.
Sunday I spent pretty much the whole day just faffing around, reading a bit & sorting out my mp3 collection of all things, deleting duplicate files, labelling them properly, finding album art & so on. And yes, that was about as exciting & thrilling as it sounds, so I was very happy when Shirley & G dragged me out of the flat to join them for good food and even better company at Maan Hing for supper.

That was pretty much it for the weekend though, so I think I’ll be ending off here. I’ll come up with another post before too much longer I’m sure, but cheers for now.

This should have been posted nearly 2 weeks ago, but ended up sitting on my hard drive till now due to issues with browsers, word processors & apathy among other things :p

1 comment:

Mel said...

Your photos were fine Ian :P And I appreciate the help.