Monday, August 15, 2005

A Beginning....

July 26th 2005, 1855B

About a year ago, while I was in the Congo, Shirley suggested I start a blog saying that it’s a good way to keep in touch with people when you don’t get the opportunity to speak with them frequently. I didn’t get around to it at the time, as I had pretty good comms with everyone I needed to, & I also couldn’t really think of anything meaningful to say either. The cyclical nature of life being what it is, I find myself once again a long way from home, from all things familiar & fond, from friends & family. This time I’m in Burundi, & I unfortunately don’t have the same access to communication that I did in the Congo last year, so blogging will have to stand as a poor substitute for conversation till I make it home next year.
This isn’t the first time I’ve tried to start a blog actually, but I always get stuck very quickly – usually trying to come up with a name for the damn thing :P
And why doesn’t this bloody thing have smileys? Who the hell doesn’t use smileys these days?
But I digress. The next challenge was coming up with something interesting to say, but this time I decided I’d stick to keeping a journal of sort, talk a little shit from time to time, & see if anything worthwhile pops up by accident along the way. I eventually realised that a blog doesn’t have to have a message, or say anything important – all it has to do is communicate, so that’s what I’m going to try to do with this over the next few months.
Unfortunately it’s hardly easy for me to get access to a net connection, so what I’m going to be doing is typing up blog entries in Word & I’ll post them whenever I get the chance to get onto the one PC on the base that has a net connection.
I can’t promise that this is going to be a particularly active, or even interesting blog, given how my days have gone so far – pretty much the same shit day in, day out – but I’ll try to come up with something on a regular basis.
Anyway, that’s all for now. I’ll type up some more in a few days & hopefully get it posted before I head off to the bushes next week.

No comments: