Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A Profitable Way to Spend the Day…..

August 15th 2005, 1700B

Of all the words I could use to describe today, “productive” would not be one of them. This was pretty much one of those days where you should just go straight back to sleep when you wake up and not bother till the next day.
Ok, it wasn’t a total waste as I did get to make a few calls, I did some of my banking, & I finally managed to get this blog onto the net. You really don’t want to know how long it took me to come up with a title for it though lol. Otherwise, it could have been a somewhat better day though.
I’ve been awake since 0330 this morning, I haven’t had chance to eat yet today, I’ve only had one cup of coffee so far, I’m knackered from the driving, I sweated like a cheap ho because of the humidity, and I also managed to walk smack into a metal bar, so I’ve got this nice graze on my forehead which stings like a bitch. And that money I was supposed to get today? Yeah, right…
It turns out that there’s a certain amount of confusion as to whether I fall under the UN or the AU at the moment, & until that gets sorted out there’s no cash for Mr Sankey. That only affects my cash allowance, & not what gets paid into my account at least, or I’d be seriously pissed off right about now, as opposed to moderately the shits. My boss says he’ll call when he’s sorted things out & let me know when I can come in to get the money, but I’m not holding my breath, especially considering that it took him the whole bloody day to get even that far. If he even manages to get it right, all it means is that I have another 5 hour drive to & from Bujumbura to look forward to, and another long, hot, & frustrating day of it while I’m in town. I don’t really know that $40 is worth the aggravation, to be honest.
There is an upside though, as I’ll get another chance to call the people I couldn’t get hold of today. I only got hold of I think 3 people today – Rob, Ash, & another friend of mine, Petta. I’ve not spoken to Petz since she got married in April, so it was really good to chat with her & catch up a bit, but it was also great to chat with Rob & Ash for awhile.
Everybody else either had their phones turned off, or I just couldn’t get through on the microwave link, which was a tad frustrating. Still, when I’m back in the capital from next week, I’ll have far better access to the phone & I should manage to get to my email at least once or twice a week, so I’ll be far better able to keep in touch.

Anyway, that was pretty much my day. I going to go have my bucket bath now, then make some coffee & read till it’s time to crash. Till next time, then ;)

No comments: