Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Change in Scenery…

September 19th 2005, 1530B

Well, I’m back at the base in town, and this time I can’t say that I’m complaining about it. I’m going to miss the aircon but that’s about it :P

It seems that there are going to be local elections this next week or so, & the operational tempo at the base here is going to be pretty high as a result. There aren’t quite enough medics here to cope, & seeing as I wasn’t exactly busy where I was I withdrawn back here to fill out the numbers some.

I never thought I would say this, but I was actually quite happy when my boss told me I needed to come in, as I really wasn’t enjoying sitting around doing squat where I was. There was literally nothing for me to do all day there except sit in front of the pc, either reading or playing freecell. I was starting to get really frustrated & moody as a result, so I’m looking forward being kept busy over the next few days. I’m still hardly fond of being in the capital though, so I’m probably going to try to deploy to either Kabezi or Muramvya this next Monday. I don’t know if I’ll get it right, because it means reshuffling the deployment schedule, but I’m going to try all the same.

Otherwise there’s no real news. I managed to finally get my hands on a sim card for the mobile the other day, but so far it’s proved to be more a waste of time & effort than anything else. It’s proved even less reliable than the landline at the office here, & most of the sms’s I send seem to bounce. Even so I’ve managed to send out about 25 or so, but I’ve not had more than 5 replies. I had this happen often while I was in the Congo last year, where people would try to sms me, but nothing would come through on my end. It wasn’t anywhere near so bad as this though, & I find myself asking what’s the point. I’ve still got a little airtime left on the phone, about $4 worth, but when that’s finished I think I’ll be putting the phone away again & forgetting about it till I get home next year. I’ll just have to make do with the odd email & the landline in the office I guess, as I’ve got better things to do with my money, & I really don’t need the aggravation or disappointment.

That’s about it though, so I’m going to end off here. Chances are that I’ll update this again soon though, if we’re going to be as busy this next week as has been said. In addition to being busier hopefully I’ll also get to take some more photos – I took the grand total of 3 this last week, & the camera is complaining that I’m neglecting it :P

Till next time then ;)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Since when are there spammers in blogs. God, I wish these freaks would piss off!
Hi, remember me from the pond (Racey)?
Your blog has really taken off - it's great.
Don't give up on the cell phone. Even if you get 5 sms's, isn't the contact with home worth it? Maybe the sim card and airtime over there is expensive ...
Glad to hear you are OK.
Cheers