Tuesday, September 06, 2005

“So Far Away From Me…”

September 6th 2005, 2045B

We had our phone access slashed today because of the expense, & it feels like home just got a lot further away, in terms of both distance and time. We’re still allowed to make calls home at state expense, but we’re talking in terms of 5 minutes once or twice a week. Assuming that you can get through at all, given how reliable the phone link is from here.
It was bound to happen sooner or later, given the way people used to sit on that phone, so I can’t really say I’m surprised, but this has not done my happy thoughts any good.
Having the phone available & being able to get in touch with people back home fairly frequently was one of the few things that made this town bearable, this entire deployment in fact. I imagine I’ll adapt to this soon enough, but right now I’m not at all happy about this.
And it really doesn’t help that I’ve been pretty down the last few days anyway, as the mefliam is screwing with my mood again & this town is not so slowly driving me nuts. I’m finding it very hard not to feel extremely sorry for myself right now.

Enough of sulking though. I’ll be getting a sim card for my phone soon, on the 15th or so, & I’ll be back in regular contact again then. I’d get one tomorrow but the wallet is looking very sad right about now, so it’ll have to wait till I get my next cash allowances. I’m not looking forward to being out of touch until then though. That was one great thing about the OC we had in Kinshasa last year – he arranged with Vodacom that they give us sim cards for free, pretty much as we stepped off the plane. Vodacom were only too happy to oblige, as it meant they made money on airtime out of us right from the first day. It’s a pity nobody thought to suggest that to the cell operators here in Burundi.
I was at least able to confirm today that I will be receiving money on the 15th, which has been about the only bright spot for the last few days. It should also hopefully be a reasonable amount, about $260 or so, as I’m due for about 6 weeks allowances by now. We’ll see what happens on the day though.
Otherwise there’s no news really, & it’s been a very quiet, boring, & frustrating day. We had a little rain today, which cut the humidity for a few hours at least, but it’s really muggy & uncomfortable again this evening. I’m really looking forward to getting out of the city again, hopefully back to Mwaro, but it looks like I’ll be here in the capital till the end of the month at least. Whoopee.
But all good things come to those that wait I guess, so I’ll just have to be patient.
I’d best finish this off for now though, as I could do with getting this uploaded this evening & it’s nearly time for roll-call.

Till next time then.

3 comments:

Wes said...

me again...Racey says hi..she's a bit limited on email access at the moment and says she'll pop in here as soon as things return to normal. Hope things get better, man. good luck...post some pics when you have a chance..dying to see the countryside over there...cheers wes

Unknown said...

The army just keeps getting better and better doesn't it. Tell me again why you're there?

I'm sorry Ian, but this is just ridiculous. When you get home, even if they renew your contract, don't you think it's time to start looking for alternative employment?

They've essentially cut you off at the knees in terms of communication. You now have a blog to communicate through. That's insane. Ian, please, come home in Feb or May or whenever it is, and sit down and plan your future. Please.

I miss you my friend.
Ash
xxx

Nicole said...

Hi Ian! I just discovered your blog through Ash's and I've been reading up on it. I'm so sorry I didn't contact you before you left! :( I thought you would be going later in the year... But I'm hoping the phone situation gets better soon.

But know that you are in my thoughts. My family is pretty much married to the military so I can understand how much it must suck. (Excuse the colloquialism.)

Take care and keep well okay? I'll be checking up on your blog as often as I can. :-)