Saturday, October 01, 2005

“A Change Would Do You Good

September 26th 2005, 1915B

This is much better. I won’t go quite so far as to say that I’d cheerfully spend the rest of my deployment here in Mwaro, as I would like to see some more of Burundi than this, but I’m far happier here than I am in Bujumbura. I miss having access to a phone & net connection while I’m here, but I still get chance for that at least once a week when I go into town so it’s not as though I’m totally cut off while I’m out of the capital. There’s also cell coverage here, though I’ve pretty much given up on that – it’s a bit much to ask people to spend money on sending sms’s to me at international rates if only one in five comes through. And I’d had such hopes when I got my hands on that sim card.

This is probably going to be a short post though, as I’m seriously knackered & I’m finding it very hard to keep my head from bouncing off the keyboard even at this early hour. It’s been a long & tiring day, and I only managed about three hours sleep last night as I’ve managed to lose my sleeping tabs somewhere along the line. Getting more is going to be a little tricky unfortunately, as I still have two weeks left to run on the current prescription and the pharmacist is going to have questions if I ask for more now already. I should get away with asking for more tabs next Monday, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a very long week if I’m going to have to get by on 3-4 hours sleep an night till then :P Actually I’m hoping that I can manage without the immovaine from now on, as I’ve taken them for far longer than I’m happy about. It’s not a physically addictive drug, but it’s still easy to fall into the habit of relying on them & I’d rather avoid that. Then again, I’d rather not have a psychotic episode because I’ve not had any sleep either, so we’ll see how things go this week.

At least not sleeping last night meant I got to spend some decent time on the net after everyone else had gone to bed, & I got a fair amount done. I got to save a fair number of peoples blogs to the flash drive, which I’m looking forward to reading over the next two weeks, & I also managed to get hold of all the CTRL-ALT-DEL & AppleGeeks cartoons I’ve missed since I got here. I love those web comics, & I’ve rather missed my fix since I’ve been away from home lol
Something else I got right last night that I’m very happy about is that I had chance to browse Amazon, & I ordered that Keen Eddie dvd set I mentioned some time ago, & also the Collectors Edition of Sin City. I can’t wait to get my grubby little mits on either of those, but especially so the Sin City dvd & I’m really sorry I didn’t get to see it on the big screen. Still, Amazon seem pretty sharp when it comes to their delivery times so it shouldn’t be too much longer before I get to see it. It strikes me as strange that Kalahari aren’t carrying it yet though, & there’s not even a mention of it on the site that I could find.

I’ve just realised that I’ve spent the last 15 minutes staring blankly at the screen in zombie mode, so I’m going to finish this off here & climb into bed. The next few days look to be fairly busy though, so I’m sure I’ll add to this again soon.

Keep well ;)

No comments: