Saturday, February 25, 2006

“Closer to fine….”

This is likely to be the last time I type anything up for this while I’m still in Burundi. You see, the other day I finally got feedback regarding my extension, and baring acts of God, plane crashes, the outbreak of war here, or other such significant events, I’ll be home – and staying home – very soon. Less than 7 days kind of soon.

It goes without saying that I’m very happy to be coming home, that I’ll get to spend some time with all the people I’ve missed so much over the last months, and that I’m rather looking forward to being on leave for 2-3 months. There’s also a certain relief to be found in finally knowing what is happening, but it also has to be said that I’m very bitter and disenchanted with army life right now. I can’t – won’t – go into the reasons why here, as there’s a great deal of hearsay & conjecture involved, and very little proof, but suffice it to say that I am not at all happy as to the apparent “why” I won’t be staying an additional 6 months. That I have significant questions regarding whether or not I wish to pursue a further military career in this country.
Overall this last week or so has been very difficult, and I’ve been experiencing some pretty serious spells of depression and intense anger. Mostly it’s to do with the way I feel I have been treated by the military over this extension, but I’ve also been really struggling with comms the last few days, and that really hasn’t helped at all. It’s added a feeling of isolation & being cut off to an already battered emotional state, at a time when I really need the contact with home. Of course, there’s also my old friend mefliam making its contribution to things, but at least I only have to take those for about another month now.

But as the title suggests, things are getting better. I’m still nowhere near a happy camper, but I’m managing, and the positive aspects of not getting the extension are busy jumping up & down, trying to get my attention. For a start it means I don’t have to spend another 6 months in Burundi, surrounded by Burundians. Burundi itself is actually quite pleasant, & is a really beautiful country, but I’ve expressed previously my opinion of the locals, & they’ve made it very hard to develop any genuine affection for the place.
I also have a nice long leave to look forward to when I get home, & I fully intend for it to be a busy one. First off, though I’m really not sure how successful I’ll be with this, I need to get into a gym and do something about my fitness levels. Losing the extra weight will be an added bonus, but my physical condition is appalling and is in dire need of attention. And I call myself a professional soldier….
I’d also like to look into scuba diving when I get home, not only as a physically active hobby, but also with the intention of expanding my skill base for future employment possibilities. Cost here is going to be something of an issue though. I don’t think the initial course is too bad, but the equipment can get very expensive, very quickly. My bank balance won’t look as healthy as I’d hoped it would, given I won’t be staying the extra 6 months, so I have to be careful with how much I spend. I may be able to get away with borrowing some of Rob’s gear at least initially though, as he used to dive at one point & still has a fair bit of the kit lying around the house.
Financially speaking, the largest disappointment I’m experiencing other than not saving as much as I’d hoped, is that I won’t be able to get that zoom lens I’ve wanted for so long. Come to think of it, this is something Ash should be pissed about too, as I’d planned on giving her the 75-300mm of mine she’s been using while I’ve been here when I got the new lens.
Still on the subject of Ash & photography, awhile ago she asked me to join a photography club with her, & that looks like it should be interesting. One thing I’ve not had as much of as I would have liked since I’ve been away is “peer review”, & joining a club would be good way to get that.
It’s not as good as doing a proper course, but joining a club will also be a good learning opportunity & will likely broaden my skill base where photography is concerned. Something else to add to the cv.

I also have a fair amount of software and shiny new toys to look forward to playing with, such as the i-Pod, new keyboard and mouse, and also the stylus & pen I bought for the pc. The new notebook should also be waiting for me by the time I get back, & I’m very keen to see if it’s as good as the reviews I’ve read say it is – I bloody hope it is given how much it’s costing me lol
One thing is for certain though, that it’ll run WoW like an utter dream, & I’m quite pleased that I’ll be able to spend some decent time on the game, rather than the odd chance I’d have had if I was only home for two weeks. A secondary reason I’m keen to start playing WoW is that there’s a fair chance I’ll bump into Nicole online pretty quickly that way, as I’ve still not heard from her since December, despite numerous sms’s being sent. I’m sure it’s just this fucked up Burundian cell provider losing messages either coming or going, but I’ve really missed hearing from her & it’ll be good to get in touch with her again.
On the subject of notebooks, the guy who’d been going to buy this one to can’t anymore, as he also got shafted on his extension application. It’s not a problem though, and this should also make Shirley quite happy, as she’d claimed first dibs on it if I didn’t sell it before I got home. I’ve been asking around, trying to get an idea as to what it’s really worth before I give her a figure, as I have a feeling I should be embarrassed by what I’d been asking for it here:p
Speaking of selling things, I’ve also got a 20gb Sony Walkman MP3 player that’s up for grabs for in the region of R1.5k – anyone interested is more than welcome to give me a shout.

Best of all I have to look forward to though, is spending time with my friends again. It’s been a very long 8 months away at times, & the support I’ve received from everyone at home has gone a long way to making this manageable, so I’m looking forward to getting home & spending some decent time with everyone. As soon as I’m physically back in Durban, I’ll get in touch with everyone & arrange to get together for at least coffee or a few drinks ASAP – given that pretty much everyone is working these days I’m not sure that there’ll be chance for any heavy duty catching up the first few days I’ll be home, but there’s a weekend shortly after I get back & I’m sure we can plan something decent for that. A braai the Friday and / or Saturday, followed with breakfast at Joe Cools & a day at the beach for Sunday, perhaps? As always, suggestions for group activities are welcome, so if anyone has ideas for things to do, give me a shout ;)
Actually, here’s another reason everyone should be happy I’m not going to be coming back up here after a 2-3 week break – given how limited time would have been, I put some thought into the most efficient way to use the time I’d have available, & the answer I came up with was multi-tasking, or doing as many things at once as possible.
Thing is, the first 3 items on my “to do” list were “spend time with friends”, “long hot shower”, and “session of hot & nasty sex”…….
I have a feeling that the little shower I have at home would have been a little cramped with everyone in it, & there would likely be a new definition to the term “good friends” by the time the hot water ran out :p

Anyway, I’m going to end this off here. I’m probably being going to be rather out of touch ‘till I get home, as the landline here has gone tits up & I’m pretty much out of airtime. I don’t think I’ll be getting more airtime for the cell when what I have left is finished, as it’s not really worth it given the time remaining. I’ll be seeing everyone in person soon enough though, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
Cheers till then though ;)

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Ian, I hope that you get your ass back to Durban soon and that when you get there you have a great party with all of your friends .. you really deserve it : )