Thursday, February 09, 2006

“Communication Breakdown….”

February 9th 2006, 1120B

By the look of things this is going to be the last time I’ll be updating this blog, at least for a few weeks. The base I’m staying at right now, the one in town, is closing this weekend, so we’re all going to be moving to the site of the new base that’s been under construction since sometime not too long after Noah parked the Ark. Unfortunately the new base just a little too far out of town to make getting to the net café I use an easy feat to accomplish, and additionally the facilities at the new base are still under construction, so it’ll be awhile before there’s a net connection available there.

And on top of that, there are as yet no phones installed there either, so I’m likely going to be a little out of touch for awhile. I’ve still got the cell at least, so I’ll be able to maintain comms by sms, but that’s a very poor substitute for a phone call.

But in reality, this isn’t going to have too much of an effect on me, as I’ll be deploying to one of the outside bases within the next week or so, where I’d not have had access to a phone or net café anyway. I had been supposed to deploy this Sunday already, but that’s been pushed back until after we’re settled at the new base, so chances are I’ll head out to the field by around Wednesday or so. Yay, I get to spend longer in Bujumbura….. fucking whoopee!!!

Otherwise there’s no real news. I managed to arrange an extra 2 days off on top of my 7 days leave, so I’m still enjoying the life of leisure right now, which is rather pleasant. I guess I’ll be making up for it on the weekend though, as breaking down the base here in town is going to be a huge job, especially if we have to do it all ourselves. I’ve heard rumblings that all that’ll be required is for us to pack out personal kit & the equipment from the sickbay, & leave the base as it is for subcontractors to break down, but I really don’t know that I’ll be so lucky lol

So far as news regarding the extension & the leave goes…… no change there really. One day I hear one thing, the next something else, so I still have no real idea as to what’s happening. Needless to say I am less than overjoyed about this, but I guess I’ll just have to keep on taking things one day at a time. As frustrating as it is to not know for definite what is happening, ultimately I come out ahead whatever happens – I mean, if I stay for the extra 6 months, then I’ll get all that extra dosh, & will also have opportunity for a break at home soon. And if I don’t stay longer then I get to leave this place behind with nary a back-ward glance, and will be able to spend some decent time with my friends after an absence of far to bloody long.


Anyway, I’d best finish this off as it looks like the chow is going to arrive any moment – I’m busy typing this up at the Chinese place, prior to heading off to the net café. The joys of a notebook & all that lol

As I said earlier, I won’t have the access to comms facilities that I normally enjoy while I’m here in town, but I’ll call as many people as I can while we’re still at this base, & from then on keep in touch as best as possible by sms.

Cheers for now though ;)

No comments: