Monday, February 06, 2006

No news is good news, right?

February 6th 2006, 1105B

I seem to be on a funny “up” & “down” cycle at the moment. One day I’ll be in a pretty good positive mood, & the next I’m either maudlin or else inclined towards acts of mass-murder. Chances are it’s just cabin fever & frustration, but it’s starting to wear a little thin, let me tell you. I’ve had about as much of this “swinging in the breeze” shit about my extension & leave as I’m inclined to put up with, and I’ve pretty much made up my mind to laugh it off. Should written authority arrive from Pretoria in the next week or two then I’ll stay on for the extra 6 months, but if it doesn’t arrive by the time I’m scheduled to return to SA then I’m going to flip them the bird and go home.

Verbal assurances that the extension has been granted, that I’ll be permitted to take leave soon, just don’t cut it for me anymore. Like I say, if they get their shit together & give me something on paper I’ll stay – I mean, I did ask to stay after all, & cannot in good conscience withdraw the application at this late stage – but they’re running out of time to get that authority to me, and I am not going to be following up about it anymore. I am tired of being fucked around, & I am not going to kiss anyone’s ass to do them a favour. I am tired of speaking to my friends on the phone – those I can get through to at least – and having to tell them that I still have no fucking clue as to what is going on.

But I’m just pissing myself off all over again, so it’s perhaps time to change the subject – I’m not so young anymore, & I have to watch my blood pressure :p Other than the iffy sense of humour lately, it’s been going well enough. I’m still on leave so I’m having a nice restful time of it, though it has proved expensive – I’m eating too much Chinese & drinking way too much beer lately. And my waistline seems to be expanding in proportion to my wallet shrinking, so it’s probably a good thing I’ll be deploying again this coming Sunday lol

I don’t know where to as yet, & while I’m inclined to ask to go back to Mwaro again for this last deployment, I’m considering asking to go to one of the other bases instead, maybe Muramvya. I’m still not all that fond of Muramvya, but the climate there is better by far than at Kabezi, & I really don’t want to spend any length of time at the new base that’s being built just outside of town here. This last deployment to the outside bases is likely only going to be a short one, given that things are winding down for this contingent – current planning is that the next contingent will start arriving in the mission area from around the 22nd February or so, and will assume operational responsibilities right off the bat. But as has been the case all along, the details change on an almost daily basis, so I guess we’ll just have to see what happens.

Contact with home these last few days has been something I’ve really enjoyed, & I’ve managed to get in a few good chats with Ash, Rob, & Shirley lately. I’ve also had chance to chat with Mark on MSN a few times in the last week or so, which I’ve really enjoyed. It’s not hard to tell he’s really chuffed about his new set of wheels, & I’m looking forward to seeing the new car when I get home. I really don’t want to know what his fuel budget was with the Opel, so hopefully the Nissan is a bit lighter on go-go juice.

Actually, that reminds me I’m going to have to make a plan for transport when I get home, regardless for how long I’ll actually be in town. The bike has stood for over 7 months now, & there’s no way it’ going to be in running order when I get home, so getting from A to B could prove a little tricky for awhile. I don’t really know that getting the bike running will be cost effective, especially if I’ll only be home for a few weeks, but I’m also not keen on the idea of relying on lifts & so on to get around.

Anyway, I think that’s about it for now. As soon as my washing is out of the dryer I’ll be tracking down some lunch, & then I’ll probably pop into the net café again so that I can upload this, & also see how the last photo I submitted to GFXArtist was received – the first few garnered some positive remarks, & positive feedback is always good for the happy thoughts :p

Till next time ;)

No comments: